This morning, I was reading this article about Kellogg's avoiding a potential lawsuit by nutrition advocacy groups and parents of fat kids by reformating their cereal and the marketing that they do for it. They agreed to not advertise on TV and other areas where kids may see it unless the cereal has no more than 200 calories, no trans fat (which actually can mean that it has it, just less than .5 grams), etc. Other than seeing the kids in an unrealistic home setting, I love cereal commercials. Now that I think about it, perhaps the reason why there are more fat kids is directly linked to the commercials. In them, they always seem to have a side of 2 slices of toast and a glass of juice with their cereal. Besides Ed, who can eat that much?
Or could it be that the parents can't say no to their kids? I remember going grocery shopping as a kid and my brothers and we got to pick out one box of cereal each. I'm sure I tried my persuasive techniques on my mom if I couldn't decide between Honeycombs and Apple Jacks and I'm pretty sure it would have never worked on her and probably led to me visiting to my room when we got home since I never knew when to "ferme la bouche" (French for 'shut your mouth' or something along those lines).
With the decline of cereal commercials, I hope that the commercials for erectile dysfunctions don't pick up. I don't think I can handle another commercial with a guy taking the medicine and then throwing the football through the hoop (anyone not get that subliminal message?) or having to listen to the voiceover guy saying that if "it" has lasted more than 4 hours, go to the hospital. I've always wondered about that 4 hour cut off. I'm thinking anything past 45 minutes could be a sign of trouble and I think most women would agree with me.
8 comments:
I suppose Tony the Tiger will be sent over to the Battle Creek zoo...
As for those other commercials, I still can't believe that Bob Dole did them. I had a right-winged friend in Utah that was bragging about getting a hug from Dole and who just about slapped me when I asked her if it was before or after he started taking Viagara.
Thanks to you, she's probably now questioning what she felt on her left side during this hug since his right arm is useless. :-)
On a side note, I'm digging the patriotic colors.
When we got to pick out cereal, my mom's rule was that it couldn't have sugar listed in the first two ingredients which ruled out everything but corn flakes and rice krispies. We got one box of sugared cereal year at Christmas.
A co-worker here is big on some of the injectible kind of those medicines and even worse, telling everyone about some of his experiences, some which are pretty amusing.
I still have plenty of lead in the pencil, that's not an issue. But as far as the four hour thing, if I get one that lasts more than four hours I'm going to knock on doors and show it to people.
Thanks, Shan. I had a feeling you would be the first to notice.
Ed - Perhaps you should encourage him to start blogging about it and sharing the address with us. ;-)
Snake Eater - You may want to skip showing it to the pregnant neighbor unless you know how to deliver a baby.
A gay man is always the first to notice when the decor changes!
Touche!
Post a Comment