Big A has been harping on me to read this book by Stephen Pressfield for a few years now. It's the story that was recently shown on the big screen in the movie titled, 300 but it goes into more detail than the movie did. It's told through the eyes of the one person that lived to tell about it - a servant to one of the full-fledged Spartans that fought. While I enjoy Greek mythology stories, ones involving battles during the Greek (as well as Roman and Persian) empires holds little interest for me. For Big A, it's his favorite genre. I am trying to remain committed to reading the full 300+ pages but it's difficult. Along with the topic, the hard to pronounce Greek names is adding to the struggle. It's the same quandary I had while reading Roots which I stopped reading since I had seen the movie. The prize for making it through it is that I think I would then have the right to nag him to read one of mine. He is currently reading The True Believer but that's not a quintessential Murf book. I see some Belva Plain in his future.
Sunday, June 24, 2007
A Quarter of The Way Throught It Book Review
Big A has been harping on me to read this book by Stephen Pressfield for a few years now. It's the story that was recently shown on the big screen in the movie titled, 300 but it goes into more detail than the movie did. It's told through the eyes of the one person that lived to tell about it - a servant to one of the full-fledged Spartans that fought. While I enjoy Greek mythology stories, ones involving battles during the Greek (as well as Roman and Persian) empires holds little interest for me. For Big A, it's his favorite genre. I am trying to remain committed to reading the full 300+ pages but it's difficult. Along with the topic, the hard to pronounce Greek names is adding to the struggle. It's the same quandary I had while reading Roots which I stopped reading since I had seen the movie. The prize for making it through it is that I think I would then have the right to nag him to read one of mine. He is currently reading The True Believer but that's not a quintessential Murf book. I see some Belva Plain in his future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
When I get hard to pronounce names in a book, I just make up simpler names for them. Joxiote becomes John, etc.
You should give him some real punishment, give him some non-fiction. ;)
Ooh, good idea...I got tons of Princess Diana books...
Post a Comment