Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
Walking Away - Craig David
Liar - The Cranberries
If You're Not The One - Daniel Bedingfield
I Miss My Friend - Darryl Worley
White Flag - Dido
F*@k It - Eamon
I'll Get By - Eddie Money
Ode To A Friend - Jann Arden
Insensitive - Jann Arden
I'd Rather - Luther Vandross
Glory Box - Portishead
By Your Side - Sade
I Knew I Loved You - Savage Garden
What's with a list of songs that you probably haven't heard of before? Welcome to Murf's post-relationship therapy session. I came across this playlist on my iTunes/iPod just this week (it's not one of the 3 playlists that I listen to most often). It was created about 5 years ago after Canada Guy #2 (not so affectionately nicknamed 'Asshead') dumped me. The name of the playlist has changed over time. I'm sure in the beginning it was something along the lines of 'I hate Canadian men and it's his loss that he chose someone named Margo over me' and it has evolved into just plain ol' 'Miscellaneous'. The love/hate, good/bad relationship that is demonstrated just in the titles alone exemplifies the relationship that he and I had. I remember why these songs are here except the first song confuses me a bit. I can only guess at that one. I've always found solace in music. Nothing more therapeutic than spending an afternoon making a mix tape (or an iTunes playlist) and then listening to it over and over until you feel better.
I've felt better because of this playlist for about 4.8 years now but I keep this around as a way of remembering where I've been. The still vivid memories that listening to these songs brings me makes me appreciate where I am.
4 comments:
My playlist last night only contains songs by Paul Simon and those written by him and sung by others. But that was because there was a tribute to him on PBS. I think I need an iPod to get your kind of playlist.
John Prine has some good love/hate songs too. "The Great Compromise" and "Yes I Guess They Ought To Name a Drink After You" come to mind and would fit in perfectly to the above list.
Thanks to you and Ramblin' Ed, I have a few John Prine songs. To sum up that era in Prine-speak: I should have had more 'Common Sense' during this time but thankfully, I'm not suffering from any 'Flashback Blues' because it wasn't 'Paradise'.
Ah the makings of a fan!
That's not a nice thing to say . ;-)
Post a Comment