Thursday, May 10, 2007

Murf and the dirty underpants

In the comment of a recent area, I perhaps dabbled a bit too much in TMI but it seemed to pique Ed's interest so I thought I would elaborate.

When I mow the grass, I get dirt in my underpants (that word makes me chuckle. Moreso than underwear). When one mows the grass, it's usually during the warmer months of the year. In the midst of mowing season, one may mow the grass while wearing shorts. That's where the trouble begins.

In the furthest part of the backyard, the grass grows spotty. I had heard it was due to the type of bush/tree thingie that is planted in the neighbor's yard just on the other side of the fence. To mow this during the dry season is an horrific experience unless you have a sick sense of humor like the spouse does and enjoy this living replica of Pigpen mowing grass. He gets quite a lot of enjoyment watching me come out of the cloud of dust. In conjunction to his merriment, this is usually when I am at my most foul of moods. I hate mowing the grass anyway. I really hate this section. I really, really hate getting dirty.

By the time that I'm done and I head into shower, I have the dirt circles around my ankles, various smears on my face and arms, the scowl and the underwear with dirt residue. I believe that I've recently solved that last issue though. I now wear mens swim trunks. The 'all in one' aspect of it seems to really work well in blocking out at least the larger dust particles. I'd rather not think of possible smaller particles getting into those tiny holes of the mesh material of the built-in item. Happy thoughts...happy thoughts...

7 comments:

Ed said...

Dang, had I caught the fact that you made the comment instead of Tim, I would have really rubbed it in a lot more. I still can't understand how dirt gets through the outer and inner layer of clothing unless you only wear the inner layer while mowing lawn.

Maybe the true solution would be to plant shade tolerant grass.

Murf said...

I have my theory but I'd hate to unperplex you as to how the underpants get dirty. Besides, I just like saying underpants. I don't think I've heard that term used since my grandmother. And no, I don't remember why my grandmother would be talking about underpants.

Murf said...

Oh..as for your shade tolerant grass idea. That would be a lovely one but the dog would interfere with the growing process both in trampling and in waste removal.

Ed said...

When we planted grass back in the days of Ted, it involved cattle panels which prevented him from digging. As for the waste removal, why remove perfectly good fertilizer.

Sometimes I think that perhaps you are worse than me in lawn care and I'm a self admitted lawn hater.

Murf said...

Ed - I pick my battles when it comes to the lawn. Sure I hate it when Hooch claws it up (which precedes the full speed sprint around the yard) after taking a good dump but how can I put a damper on such happiness? We all know the feeling.

As far as the fertilizer, I always heard that any waste from a meat eating creature did not make good fertilizer.

Ed said...

I'm guessing Hooch's kibbles contain more non-meat products than meat ones. How do I know? Every wonder why grass grows much higher in clumps in the lawns of people who own dogs, especially in the spring time?

Murf said...

No but now I know. :-) During the whole pet scare thing of a month ago, I heard that kibble is primarily carbs and since dogs are meat eaters, should be eating more meat and there is a reason why dog poop doesn't disintegrate. I should just cook for him.