Kat and Caesar showed up shortly after I registered and my, Caesar was a beautiful dog. He's a husky with one brown eye and one blue eye. Over the course of the day though, I started to resent him. Everyone came up to pet him and ooh'd and aah'd over him while Hooch barely got a look much less a pet. A vendor selling her wares (she paints portraits of dogs) said that he looked like he was smiling, and he was, but I think she was just trying to get herself some business.

As the day wore on, I began referring to Hooch as Caesar's wingman. It was entertaining to see both of them run up to a female dog at the same time. One would check out the front while the other would check out the back and then they would switch. They were great for most of the day until the end when Hooch must've finally got fed up with the great Caesar and tried to mount him if I wasn't watching and gave the leash a bit too much slack.
The walk was only about a mile long with a couple of pit stops in between for water and treats for both human and canine. When we arrived back to the main area, some of the special events started. The main one was a flying dog contest. They had an inflatable pool and they would toss in toys to see how far the dogs fly off of the deck before they landed in the pool. The highlight were the dogs that didn't want to go in. Saturday was suppose to be 74 degrees but I don't think it got above 60 the three hours I was at this event and on top of that, the pool wasn't heated. The came off looking like the smart ones while I was embarrassed for their owners as they tried to pull or push them in.
There was a side event that I found kind of troublesome. While we were standing around, Kat was approached by a man asking if she would like to see how much Caesar could pull. Since he was a husky, he was meant for pulling, said he. I know I wasn't going to have Hooch go through such a thing and luckily he never gave Hooch a second glance and then he got called away. We quickly merged back into the crowd. As we were leaving, we saw one of the dogs that they had for adoption hooked up to this sled with cinderblocks piled on it, trying to pull it. I'm still troubled by that and I feel like writing a letter to this humane society since it was their employee that probably brought him over to do this. I know it because Kat and he had talked about this particular muscle-bound dog and this same guy was leaning against the fence, watching.
We headed home early in the afternoon with Hooch passed out in the backseat. But as you can see from his 'smile', it was a happy exhaustion.
5 comments:
I can't imagine going on a dog walk with every other dog in town--and I now feel bad about hooch not getting petted
Evidently you aren't a big Jack London fan especially Call of the Wild. I bet Buck could have pulled that sled.
Sage - It was interesting especially since Hooch and I are fast walkers. He got good at smelling butts really quickly as we passed the slower dogs and their walkers. As for the lack of attention, Hoochie's Mama tried to make up for it with a few extra pieces of the beef flavored Canine Carry-Outs that she had in her backpack.
Ed - I remember loving that book (and even the movie) and it's on my 'To Be Re-Read Soon' list but Buck was wild. Is it nice to ask two couch potatoes to pull a sled full of cinderblocks?
If I recall correctly, Buck was the house dog of a judge before being kidnapped and put to work. Think of what Hooch could do if he got kidnapped and shipped up north to be a sled dog. ;)
Are you trying to make me cry? :-)
Post a Comment