
The toys from yesterday's entry also came in paper doll version. I never had the black Sunshine family which is probably just as well. To have three men missing their shirts would be rather embarrassing.
********
I loved paper dolls and I was reminded of it when I came across all of them. This is just the Barbie selection but I also had quite a few 'no names' as well as Princess Diana ones. Those were 'special' ones that got stuck in the scrapbooks more than actually played with. Keeping scrapbooks must be a girl thing. I had one for Princess Diana and one for Duran Duran. Big A recently discovered the Diana ones one day while I was at work. He looked at me oddly for the rest of that week. Perhaps in this day and age it could be misconstrued as looking like something a stalker would do.
********
This and the next one probably deserve their very own entry but for the sake of boredom, they're getting tossed in the miscellaneous category despite being far from it. Strawberry Shortcake and her little pals no longer smell like they use to back in the early 80's thanks to being couped up in this display case but they still have a nice smell to them.
********
Here are the full-sized versions and their pets. Much like the small ones, these all smell like a mix of strawberry shortcake, orange blossom, cherry cobbler, apple dumplin', blueberry muffin et al. Despite their unique scents being long gone, they are still in great shape. I could get a pretty penny for these on eBay probably. I can't foresee me ever needing money that badly. I'd be out on the streets, eating at soup kitchens but carrying my Strawberry Shortcake dolls with me.
********
Good ol' Donny and Marie. I'm not sure what happened to Marie's dress or her right arm. I wonder if a naked, one-armed Marie would catch a better price than if she was fully dressed.
********
My younger brother was (and still is) a big fan of The Muppets. An offshoot of that is my small collection of Miss Piggy stuff. I did keep the full sized doll and the puppet but I gave away the paper doll to the coworker with the 4 year old daughter. She actually displayed the Miss Piggy on her desk that day and got quite a few compliments on it. She was considering leaving it up as office decor but was the good mother and took it home with her that night.
********
Last but not least, this is the little white dog that my parents got me since I couldn't have a real dog due to my older brother's allergies. I was never big on the stuffed animals except for this one. I remember holding it and wishing with all my might that it was a real one. I still remember that feeling vividly. That little girl that wanted one so badly finally got one and what a fine dog she got too (despite the jumping through the living room window thing). Unfortunately, the white dog (who was always nameless) will still be around when he isn't. I just may understand why Big A says that it is better to have never loved at all than to have loved and lost.
3 comments:
Good lord, how big is the room where you store all this stuff? I still sense you've only touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to your toys saved from childhood.
It's all underneath the basement steps. These contents now fit in just 3 medium sized Rubbermaid bins. There is one large one that I didn't go through that holds the Legos and the Matchbox cars.
You can just send that last box to me. I'll go through it for you.
Post a Comment