Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Battle of the Replacing/Picking Up

The issue of replacing the toilet paper on the roll when it runs out seems to be a battle between men and women that crosses all economic and racial boundaries.

While visiting a friend awhile back, I was caught in the middle of such a battle. After doing what I went into the bathroom to do, I noticed there was just the cardboard tube on the roller. I looked underneath the sink...nothing. It was a half bathroom so there wasn't many other areas to check out. I was s.o.l. Thankfully, not literally. I just shook and went on my way. As I was coming out, my friend realized that I had gone without. She had refused to replace the toilet paper because he never does it when he uses the last of it. That was the last time they battled over it using their most publicly accessible bathroom. I wonder what goes on in their master bathroom.

Big A and I are in the midst of it now. Usually I crumble and stick the new roll on the roller. If I even use the last of it, I will replace it. He doesn't. Thankfully I keep a stock of extra rolls in the basket next to the toilet. Does he refill the basket when he sees that the last roll is on the roller? Nope. Does he even notice that there is none left in the basket? He should because his reading material is in the basket as well.

I've done something similar recently with a white tag that I saw on the wood floor. I left it there to see if Big A would spot it and pick it up. It was along the wall in the hallway but I noticed it every time I went into the bedroom or the computer room. How can one miss a 2 inch by 2 inch piece of pure white paper on a dark wood floor? It was there for weeks before I finally picked it up.

He and I have come to an agreement regarding the kitchen trash. Whomever takes the trash out, the other person inserts the new bag. We learned this maneouver from the parents of one of his friends. It was then that I smartened up and did what the janitors at work do - put oodles of trash bags at the bottom of the trash can. Now, the bag inserter just has to bend down and grab one. But again, would Big A replace the extra bags when he sees that he has opened the last one? Nope. On a few occasions, I've received great pleasure from being the one to take out that last bag of trash and leaving the lid of the trash can up (the universal sign of it needing a bag) and him having to go to the basement where we keep the Sam's Club sized box of kitchen trash bags.

Perhaps our differences can be chalked up to where we personally place this on our list of what's important. For me, who grew up in a house playing a Jenga-like game with the trash before someone finally took it out, I hate it when the trash exceeds the height of the trash can so trash removal is important. Further down the scale is the placing of the new toilet paper on the roller. I'm not a reader so really, I don't mind using my bathroom time to replace it...but why didn't he see that white piece of paper on the floor?!?!

2 comments:

Ed said...

We have his and her bathrooms which solved that problem. In my bathroom, there is always a roll on the reel and more waiting. In my wife's bathroom, there is always a cardboard tube and there may or may not be more waiting. The drawback is that my bathroom is down the hall where hers is the masterbath.

Murf said...

Uh oh...this could be bad once you two have to share. So, you're saying that you are the girl in this relationship, Ed? ;-)