Monday, August 13, 2007

My Office Space-like moment

My work week is generally one of very little conflict. This past week was quite different in that respect. Both of the events of the past week were not of my doing. I was just the person who was enlightening a customer as to our procedures when it came to a couple of things. One could have been questionable but if confronted, I can always used the age old tale found in any office - lack of communication within an area.

Early last week, I informed someone who was faxing over documents to please either convert it to a PDF (which a lot of copiers can do nowadays) and email it or send through department mail. This is because of the image degradation that happens on faxed copies. In her hissy fit of a return email, she pointed out that the directions said that faxing was not the PREFERRED method. It didn't say not to do it. She then proceeded to say that if anyone had questions about the document, they can easily look it up themselves. In my cool and collected response, I explained the image degradation and then addressed the second part - it is not up to the people who approve things to look up documents. It is the responsibility of the sender to provide all documentation. In this response, I included my supervisor. Again I get a reply that was nothing but argumentative saying that she got permission from someone to fax over the copies because she doesn't have the ability to convert to PDF and she doesn't trust the department mail service. Here is where the lack of communication came in. If someone in a different area said that she could, they should have let us know and this could have been prevented. 99% of the people choose either of the "approved" methods. We were left wondering why three people out of hundreds continually faxed over their documents where 8's, 6's and 3's all looked alike. On this response, she included someone who must've been her supervisor and one of our area supervisors who then passed it on to my boss's boss. At this point, I forwarded it on to my supervisor and said that I had nothing more to tell her. My boss calls her and discovers that this area is still living in the 1990's when it came to technology and, as far as I see it, paranoia about sending things through the mail. I wonder if she is one of those people that pays their utilities in the utility office and with cash every month.

The second head butting came on Thursday. As is procedure, I processed a certain request from a woman and then emailed her to tell her that it had been completed and to give her the 5 digit numbers that I established for her. Her response to the email was her confusion at the fact that they were numbers and not alpha characters. I replied and enlightened her that her requests did not state that she wanted alpha so as is our procedure, we got her numerical values. I then shared with her the normal procedure if she had stated on the forms that she wanted alpha which was to forward it to my supervisor for her approval since they don't give out alpha values for just anyone. Her reply was the typical 'The form doesn't say this' blather. I then responded by agreeing with her that the forms do not say that but that in the past, people would write a short note on the form requesting alpha values. I then told her that she should contact my supervisor for approval but that she would be out of the office until this week. She then sent a response complaining about the form and how confusing it was. I felt that I had said all that I could and had given her all the information that I had so I didn't respond. All the while I am thinking "Why is she still complaining? I EXPLAINED the procedures to her now so what does it matter if it's not on the form?".

Today, my supervisor nixed her alpha value request so this woman begrudgingly kept the numerical values.

Upon reflecting on either of these women and their actions (read: whining), I think it reflects poorly on them. Both of these women I have never met but I think I have a pretty good clue as to what type of people they are from this interaction. If I were the one in the first scenario, I would have either mentioned that I had approval from someone from the get go or get over my paranoia with mail. In the second, I would just learn from this for future requests and be done with it. It's rather interesting to read the chain of responses between me and both of these women. I'm being (surprisingly) non-emotional and explaining the procedures fully (proper customer service etiquette) while it seems with each response, they are losing their heads just a bit more.

This makes me appreciate technical writing that much more. Just let me sit in my cubicle for 8 hours, typing away and don't talk to me. I'll be happy as a clam.

4 comments:

Murf said...

I just remembered this morning what my supervisor told me yesterday afternooon which now that I remember, is rather an interesting comment. She said that I should call people so there isn't a paper trail of the conversation. I wonder if this is to cover her own butt after having her boss come to speak to her about the Fax Girl.

maggie moran said...

Blame the whinniness on this ungodly heat! 106 yesterday and I think I have a case of cabin fever.

Is there anyway to say, "um, ma'am the fax is broken" as you silently pull the plug. Dum-dum doesn't know how to convert to a pdf and needs your technical writing for the clean (dare I say) concise directions. :)

We use our fax for signatures only since we don't have an electronic one, yet.

Ed said...

It must be catching. Anymore, I have to save every email to cover my ass or people take advantage of that situtation. That is also why I give people my work email address over the phone number along with some excuse that I'm often away from my desk.

Murf said...

I realized that positive aspects of the email vs phone call. Sure, it could be a CYA for the boss, but I have already been in a situation where it came down to he said/I said and I wasn't believed since he was in a higher position and it was reflected on my yearly review.