Thursday, August 2, 2007

Potheads, one of Ed's recipes and Tully has come back

* I stayed up way to late (10 p.m.) flipping between Fox, MSNBC and CNN watching the stuff about the bridge collapse in Minneapolis. Once they started talking to two young kids who look like they smoke a lot of dope about how they helped authorities before others arrived, that was my cue to go to bed. In case you are wondering (and it seems to be a common question of anyone on these shows), I've never been to Minnesota so I have never been on that bridge.

* While going through my overloaded Food Network notebook, throwing out recipes I knew that I will never make and setting aside recipes I want to try, I found the recipe for Ed's pork marinade and tried it. It seemed like there were a lot of ingredients (the story of me and multi-ingredient recipes to come) and it would have been easier to just purchase a teriyaki-type marinade but I sucked it up and went through it. Despite having a genetic love of salt, I'm not a big fan of soy sauce and this particular recipe called for quite a lot of it so I went in this very unsure. I left it to marinate for 8 hours rather than Ed's recommended 'overnight' and despite all of my reservations, it came out quite yummy.

* My coworker brought back the book that the friend I originally loaned it to went on to loan to. The top of the pages of the book have some crayon on it that wasn't there before but in the grand scheme of things, I don't mind.

4 comments:

Ed said...

I didn't learn of the incident until this morning. I've been across that bridge many many times. Fortunately the last time was a couple years ago.

That marinade doesn't sound appetizing by looking at the ingredients but it rocks! Once you go with it, it is hard to marinade pork in anything else.

Now you have a "beater" copy to loan out to less savory book readers.

Murf said...

I think my favorite is still just some olive oil and salt and pepper but this marinade is a close second. This isn't good when used on chicken?

Ed said...

I don't know that I have ever tried it out on chicken. But I rarely cook pork on the grill without this marinade.

With chicken, I normally go the barbecue flavor route since chicken doesn't dry out as easily as pork.

sage said...

thanks for reminding me about that marinade, I've been meaning to try it.